When your beloved pet gets infected with fleas, it could really be frustrating both for you and
your cat. First of all, could you really take it that your pet is constantly itching to the point
of hurting herself? Then think about the most severe symptoms. What if she does not only get infected
with fleas, but also develops anemia?
Fleas are easy to get and your cat may well be walking around the yard or house and still get it. Flea eggs are very small. They are very hard to locate and you can never tell where they are hiding. How can you get rid of fleas and how can you keep your pet from getting infected?
Here are some tips that can help you get rid of fleas:
1. Wash all your beddings daily. You can also vacuum the mattress and make sure to go through all the crevices where flea eggs could be trapped.
2. Vacuum your rugs and carpets daily, too. These can also trap fleas and flea eggs so make a habit of vacuuming these. You can also steam clean your carpets from time to time. This will get rid of eggs that you were not able to remove through vacuuming.
3. You can also apply an insect bomb that acts specifically on fleas. If you are going to do this, make sure not to expose food to it, as well as any other live animals that you have. You can also consider hiring someone else to do this. This job can be done better by someone who knows what to do, so do not hesitate. You can also hire someone to disinfect your entire yard for you. The outdoors where most fleas are should also be cleaned.
It is important for you to get rid of fleas. They can carry the larval stage of tapeworms and it would really be dangerous for your pet if it accidentally feeds on one. Fleas can also carry other harmful communicable diseases. As it sucks blood from its host and has the ability to jump from one host to the other, it is quite easy for them to spread any infection obtained from a previous host.
Flea infestation in kittens can be very lethal. Kittens are weak and susceptible to developing anemia so it would really be harmful for your little pets to get in contact with fleas.
Apart from this, cat fleas can also cause itching on humans. If you are fond of playing with your pets that are infected with fleas, you can expect to start scratching yourself pretty soon.
There are several home remedies that can get rid of cat fleas. Here are some of them:
1. You can make a citrus repellent. All you need to do is to get a small-sized lemon and immerse it in boiling water. Put this mixture into a sprayer bottle. Spray your pet with this, especially in areas behind the ears, in the groin, and in the armpits.
2. You can also make an aromatherapy repellent by mixing lavender and cedar wood. This mixture should be mixed well and then applied all over your pet’s skin and fur to keep the fleas away.
3. Garlic makes very good internal flea repellent. The scent that it gives off can drive fleas away so you can make your pets chew on garlic from time to time.
4. You can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth all over the yard and put some cedar chips around. Some people even consider planting an herb, called tansy, around your pet’s favorite play area to be able to ward off fleas.
All these methods will make sure that your pets are safe, all the time.